General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964) We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction.
Six Principles of Magic
1. Every magician has a beautiful vision for the world.
2. Every system of magic is a single artists tool, used to reshape reality.
3. If you believe, it shall exist.
4. When you call, they will answer.
5. Success and failure, is one and the same: ignorance and depression is the enemy.
6. Be like all equally, and you shall unite; refuse and separate.
As described in the introduction, this book is intended as a primer in the philosophy of Thelema and its use of ceremonial magick and it succeeds beautifully in both these aspects. The language used is simple and easily accessible for the novice magickian. If Crowley seems at first too obscure, this may serve as a good starting point.
Various aspects of Thelemic philosophy and religious belief (quabalah, gemantria, the Will, etc.) as well as various physical and spiritual practices (asanas, pranayama, etc.) are explained in brief chapters, without going into a lot of depth, but enough to get a basic grounding from which to study more serious works as suggested in a few chapters. Various rituals are described as well, such as the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (in Hebrew and Latin), the Star Ruby, and the Liber Resh.
An excellent straight-forward primer for the curious novice or neo-pagan who'd like to learn a bit more about Thelema without going directly through Crowley.
Added: October 8th 2005 Reviewer: Thoth Score: Related Link:Review Source Hits: 1629 Language: english